We’re a nation in love with electronics
According to a recent report by the Consumer Electronics Association, you probably have about 30 electronic devices in your home. While most of them play an important role in your daily activities, likely as not, you have an outdated TV, PC or mobile phone that’s been collecting dust in your attic for years.
We can help you free up that space.
In late summer and early autumn, Southwestern Electric hosts an electronics recycling drive (canceled in 2020 due to COVID-19). You’re invited to bring your obsolete electronics to our collection sites on the dates listed below. A truck will be present to receive your items. All collections begin at 9 a.m. and end at noon or when the truck is filled—whichever comes first.
Your electronics will be collected and recycled by a regional, EPA-approved recycling center. Electronics recycling—or e-cycling—is the process of refurbishing, redistributing and reusing electronic devices and components, rather than discarding them. It extends the lifecycle of electronics and lowers their overall environmental impact.
We can help you recycle a variety of electronics, including:
- Computers, monitors, printers, cables and peripherals (keyboards, mice, etc.)
- Fax machines, scanners, digital converter boxes, cable receivers, satellite receivers.
- Video game consoles, digital video disc player/recorders, portable digital music players.
- Networking equipment, server, telecommunications, phones, cell phones and clocks.
- VCRs, stereos, and audio/video equipment (including cable/satellite).
- Holiday lights and metal decorations.
- Electrical, cabling, communication machinery, and equipment.
- Home electronics, blenders, toasters, irons, etc.
- Rechargeable batteries (NIMH battery, li-ion battery and NICD battery)
- UPS battery backups
- CRT TVs, console TVs and projection TVs will be accepted for a fee ranging from $5-$25 depending on their size and model. Flat screen TVs may be recycled at no charge. Please bring cash, check or a debit card for payment.
- DVDs, CDs, and VHS and cassette tapes will not be accepted.
Recycling Drive Locations
- Greenville / Southwestern Electric Cooperative’s headquarters, 525 US Route 40
- St. Elmo / Southwestern Electric’s warehouse on the frontage road southwest of the St. Elmo exit off Interstate 70.
- St. Jacob / Southwestern Electric’s office at 10031 Ellis Road
All collections will begin at 9 a.m. and end at noon or when the truck is filled—whichever comes first.
Watch The Southwestern magazine for collection dates.